St Isan Road Surgery has grown to become a well established practice within the Heath area of Cardiff that prides itself on providing excellent healthcare services for patients.
BUT how did we get here?
The first recorded healer in the practice area was, in the 5th Century, St. Isan who established his llan or church where he carried our healings at Ffynnon, Llandennis now on the current Llandennis Road, Oval.
Just before the Second World War, Dr. Harold Coulthard established a surgery in his house in Heathwood Road and in 1948 took as his partner Dr. Robert Griffiths. In 1958, the practice had expanded and a partnership was offered to their then trainee Dr. Gethyn Thomas. In 1964, Dr. Coulthard unfortunately died and the remaining partners moved across the road to 178 Heathwood Road.
In 1967, Dr. Michael Watson joined the practice.
In 1967, the practice introduced an appointment system and in 1968 the first practice nurse joined the practice.
In 1979, Dr. Griffiths retired and was replaced by Dr. John Rogers who left the practice in 1985.
In 1985, Dr. Hywel Smith joined the practice and in 1987 the practice moved to the new purpose-built premises in St. Isan Road.
In 1989, Dr. Thomas retired and Dr. Noel McLoughlin joined the practice.
In 1998, the practice premises were considerably enlarged.
In 2006, Dr. Watson retired and has been replaced by Drs. Melanie Bagshaw and Bethan Brooks.
In 2017, Dr Hywel Smith retired and Dr Iwan Williams joined the partnership.